Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Things I've Been Doing #1

I've Been...


...Reading Jon Krakeur



For The Record; John Krakeur has thus written one book about a bunch of people climbing up Mount Everest and dying, one book about a young idealist going off to Alaska and dying, and finally one book in which a couple idiots from a Mormon splinter group, kill their sister in law and niece.

And people tell me that I need Zoloft.

All kidding aside Krakeur makes this a gripping read, exploring the fascinating grey area between faith and madness.

...Listening To Come On Pilgrim




"One two three/
She's a real left winger 'cause she been down south/
And held peasants in her arms/
She said "I could tell you a story that could make you cry"/
"What about you?"/
I said "Me too"/
"I could tell you a story that will make you cry"
/And she sighed "Aaahh"/
I said "I wanna be a singer like Lou Reed"/
"I like Lou Reed" she said sticking her tongue in my ear/
"Let's go, let's sit, let's talk"/
"Politics go so good with beer"/
"And while we're at it baby, why don't you tell me one of your biggest fears?"/
I said "Losing my penis to a whore with disease"/
"Just kidding" I said "Losing my life to a whore with disease"/
I said "Please... I'm a humble guy with a healthy desire"/
"Don't give me no shit because..."/

I've been tired "


I love The Pixies in a big big way, their particular blend of Punk, Surf Rock, and Sheer Stream of Conscience Madness (see above) is often imitated never duplicated. But I've never been a huge fan of their debut, that is of course, until I suddenly became incapable of turning it off. Something just clicked and I realized what I should have long ago. Simply put this album is pretty fucking awesome.

So that means one day I might like Trompe De La Monde... but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

... Watching Nick And Nora's Infinite Playlist



Advance Screening, yada, yada. Short version, it doesn't suck. It's awfully cutesy, and if you never thought a subplot about a gay nightclub where everyone dresses up in relgious garb and fucks could seem downright wholesome, well then you don't know the way this movie Giulliani's any hint of danger away from New York City. No one's playing "I'm Tired" In This Movie.

That said, complaining about life looking good in a piece of teen bubblegum like this, is... well I'm too tired to think of a metaphor right now, but it's pretty damn pointless.

Still it's a sweet movie, Michael Cera hasn't lost his appeal yet, the city looks beautiful (seriously you'll be seeing this movie in montage clips for awhile), and it would take a heart even grinchier then my own to not be a little touched by a love story with such puppy dog earnestness.

And that's been it for the last couple of days. Later: MORE!!!.....

No comments: