Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Son Of Danse Macabre: Self Interview: AKA Schizophrenia For Fun And Profit

My friend, poet, Browns fan and all around swell guy Nick Courtwright, tagged me in a self interview chain that is making its way around the interwebs. I will of course be talking about Son Of Danse Macabre, shocker I know, currently available here aaaannnddd here.




What is the working title of the book?

Son Of Danse Macabre: A Personal History Of Horror.


Where did the idea come from for the book?

Stephen King’s Danse Macabre was one of my favorite books growing up. I was a lonely kid and being able to carry around what amounted to a pocket conversation with my favorite author was just beyond cool. Let alone all the great books and films it introduced me to.

There just weren’t a lot of people who were into what I was into, were I was growing up. Fandom could be lonely pre internet. Danse Macabre was just a great confirmation that “You’re not crazy for liking this stuff, in fact here’s someone who cares about it just as much as you do. I always wanted a follow up, and I saw I had a neatly mirrored chunk of time to the original, so I just decided to go for it.


What genre does your book fall under?

That’s surprisingly tough to decide. Of course it all falls under the blanket of criticism, but some of it’s Lit Crit, and some of it’s Film crit and there’s different rules for each. Also there’s just a touch of memoir in it.


 What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

A comprehensive look at the horror genre’s evolution over the last thirty years across media.


How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?


Eleven months, almost exactly.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

I think we’ve got that one covered.
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?


I tried to hit a spot where someone who had never seen a horror film before could use this as a primer, and yet someone who had seen EVERY horror film would find it interesting too. I think I hit it.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Self Published, gotta get that sweet sweet Government Cheese money somehow.


My tagged writers for next Wednesday are:

I’ve still got a few slots for this open, if you’ve got something you want to promote send me an email. 


No comments: